The Government of the Republic of Indonesia is annually offering the Darmasiswa Scholarship, a non-degree scholarship program offered to all foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian Language), art and culture. Participants can choose one of selected universities (59 universities) located in different cities in Indonesia. This program is organized by the Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC) in cooperation with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). The scholarship will be awarded to 650 applicants (Kuota for Norwegian 2 applicants, Icelanders 2 applicants).
The DARMASISWA program was started in 1974 as part of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) initiative, admitting only students from ASEAN. However, in 1976 this program was extended to include students from other countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and USA. In early 90’s, this program was extended further to include all countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia. Until to date, the number of countries participating in this program is more than 80 countries.
The main purpose of the DARMASISWA program is to promote and increase the interest in the language and culture of Indonesia among the youth of other countries. It has also been designed to provide stronger cultural links and understanding among participating countries.
For the academic year 2017 – 2018, the Government of the Republic of Indonesia once more invites the foreign students to participate in the Darmasiswa Scholarship at several universities in Indonesia. The program will commence in September 2017. Detailed information concerning the scholarship and the necessary forms can be downloaded from the links below.
Prospective students are required to register and submit all documents in Darmasiswa RI official website apply.darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id. For students who are not in the student’s home country is not allowed to be registered through the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the participating countries (non-citizenship).Online registration will proceed until 25 February 2017, following with interview at Indonesian Embassy in Oslo between 27 February – 10 March 2017.
- Online registration – 9 December 2016 until 25 February 2017
- Interview at related KBRI/KJRI – 27 February 2017 until 10 March 2017
- Selection by the University (online) – 13 March 2017 until 28 March 2017
- Final announcement – 14 April 2017
- Joining Darmasiswa confirmation – 14 April until 14 May 2017
- Flight itinerary confirmation – 14 April until 1 August 2017
- Estimated arrival and orientation at Indonesia – Late August 2017
This schedule may change any time
- Curriculum vitae/resume.
- Medical certificate.
- Passport valid at least 18 months from time of arrival in Indonesia (estimated arrival : 1st August 2017).
- Recommendation Letter From Education Institution/Professional Institution on official letterhead and signature (in English).
- Last academic transcript and certificates (in English).
- Language certificate (if applicable).
- Other certificates that related to the field you’re applying (if applicable).
- Writing essay about purpose of study (in english or bahasa Indonesia maximum 500 words).
Please find further information and application form below:
- Darmasiswa official website: http://darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id/
- Leaflet Darmasiswa (Download here)
- List of Places of Study: http://darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id/list-of-darmasiswa-university/; (Download here)
- See the regulations: http://darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id/regulations/
Good luck for your application!!